1. It's closer to Africa than it is to Europe. Located just 280 nautical miles from the African coast.
3. Madeira island is home to Europe's tallest sea cliff- more than 1,900 feet above the sea- Cabo Girão
5. There are more than 1300 miles of hiking trails in Madeira; so lace up those hiking boots and get walking.
2. The island has the world's largest fireworks display for New years Eve. They even made it into the Guinnes Book of World records in 2006
4. There are more than 25 miles of tunnels throughout the island. Most of these were built throughout the 16th century and all the way up to the 1940's, to help with building and maintining the hundreds of miles of aqueducts.